Friday, November 27, 2015

Nothing's Free...

  Ahh... YouTube Red. The topic of much discussion, much controversy, and a whole new way of watching videos- ad free! Like most people, I don't like ads. I tend to spam the 'skip ad' button, and get very frustrated if ads stop me from watching videos or playing games, or when they stop working and I have to refresh or restart whatever I'm doing. It is particularly annoying when the ad plays just fine, but the video I'm watching fails to play! Yet, I don't hate ads as much as some people do, resorting to ad-blockers that stop hard working YouTube creators from receiving the revenue they deserve. I sometimes watch ads, for entertainment. It sounds strange, but some adds can be quite amusing, informative, or even idea-giving! 

  I quite like YouTube for its unique concept and how it's 'free' to use. Considering that and me might wanting to occasionally watch some ads, you probably won't see me getting YouTube Red anytime soon or not soon, (until I get rich, perhaps), but the fact that it is not available in Canada only enforces that. 

  That said, I have nothing against YouTube Red. For those who want to get it, I don't see why not. From a video creator's perspective, YouTube Red gives creators a chance to earn more revenue for what they do, which is great. One thing I noticed with the introduction of this, however, is that there has been a very significant decrease in skip-able ads. It's fine to ignore the button for a little while if the commercial is something interesting, but if I'm forced to watch an ad from start to finish, I hate it. Therefore, I wouldn't worry about the advertisers, they will do just fine, considering all the places that ads can be placed, and especially this new development. 

  Truth is, though, we can't really expect anything to be free, and whether it's money, or time, we will have to pay something for everything. And so whatever option we choose, there will be drawbacks, so the best thing to do is to just accept it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree I sometimes watch the ads if they are interesting and amusing. Also I totally forgot about the advertising side of YouTube Red for the YouTubers themselves and advertisers

    ReplyDelete